Easy Chicken Enchilada Tortellini Bake: dinner ready to serve in 30 minutes. Only 5 items from your pantry are needed to make this recipe.
Vacation is over with and today it’s back to work and back to sharing recipes with you.
How about we start with this Easy Chicken Enchilada Tortellini Bake? No joke, only 5 simple items from your pantry in this recipe. It’s so good that I had to share it with you today…and I just made it last night.
First meal I cooked since coming back from vacation. On Friday, we grilled but actually, that should read Ken grilled. I prepped some sides and made this Zesty Summer Salad (I’ll be sharing updated photos and instructions with you soon) but that’s about all I’ve done in over a week. This chicken tortellini bake was fitting for an end of vacation meal. If you’re like me, you feel extremely lazy on the last day of vacation. Who wants to spend hours in the kitchen on the LAST day of vacation? I sure don’t.
This easy dinner recipe only takes about 25 minutes to put together, bake and serve. This chicken tortellini bake was easy to make, too. I cooked the chicken in my slow cooker, which took about 6 hours, but you could use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken in this recipe. Often times, I turn to rotisserie chicken when making quick meals but the grocery store had split chicken breast on sale so I stocked up and cooked two of them to use in this recipe. I made the sauce using enchilada sauce and spicy red pepper diced tomatoes. Blend the two together, BOOM, sauce. Refrigerated tortellini works best in this recipe because it cooks pretty fast. I opted for roasted garlic and cheese tortellini. Once I mixed everything together and got it into a 1.5 quart baking dish, I sprinkled the top with shredded Mexican cheese. Cheddar would work great as well. Then I baked at 400 for 10 minutes. At this point, I could have eaten the tortellini bake but I wanted to brown the cheese. I love browned cheese. I turned on my broiler and broiled for about 5 minutes until the cheese was slightly browned and bubbly.
Easy Chicken Enchilada Tortellini Bake
- 2½ C of cooked chicken breast. I've included instructions below for slow cooking but you could use a rotisserie chicken, too.
- 2 9oz packages of refrigerated tortellini. I used Butoni Roasted Garlic and Cheese.
- 1 14.5 oz can of spicy red pepper diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can of all natural enchilada sauce. I used this brand.
- 1½ C shredded Mexican Cheese (you can also used shredded cheddar)
- To Slow Cook the Chicken: If slow cooking the chicken, spray the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray. Place two split chicken breasts (with the bones and skin - keeps it tender) in the slow cooker and sprinkle with salt, pepper and ground chipotle pepper, if desired. Place ½ C chicken broth in the slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Once the chicken is done cooking, remove from the bones, remove the skin and shred.
- For using Rotisserie Chicken: Remove the skin from the rotisserie chicken. Pull the chicken breasts from the bones and shred with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cook the tortellini according to package directions. Once done cooking, drain and return to the pot.
- Prepare the sauce. Place the enchilada sauce and the diced tomatoes into a blender and blend. You can also place these two items into a large bowl and blend with an immersion blender.
- Prepare the tortellini bake. Add the chicken to the pot with the tortellini. Mix well. Then add desired amount of sauce to the pot. I used about ¾ of the sauce. The remaining sauce can be stored in an air tight container in a refrigerator for up to a week. Mix everything well and then pour into a 1.5 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with the shredded Mexican cheese.
- Bake at 400 for 10 minutes. After baking, if desired, turn on the broiler to high and broil for about 5 minutes to brown the cheese.