Easy Chicken Enchilada Tortellini Bake: dinner ready to serve in 30 minutes. Only 5 items from your pantry are needed to make this recipe.
This chicken enchilada tortellini bake is a life saver because you only need to use 5 simple items from your pantry to make this recipe.
The recipe only takes about 25 minutes from prep to table. It’s easy to make, too. I cooked the chicken in my slow cooker but leftover or rotisserie chicken works too.
I made the sauce with enchilada sauce and spicy red pepper diced tomatoes. The pasta was simple: I used refrigerated garlic cheese tortellini because it cooks quickly. Once I mixed the tortellini and sauce together I poured it into a 1.5 quart baking dish. Then I sprinkled it with shredded Mexican cheese. Finally, I baked it at 400 for 10 minutes. When it was done baking, I turned on my broiler and broiled for 5 minutes until the cheese was slightly browned and bubbly.
Easy Chicken Enchilada Tortellini Bake
- 2½ C of cooked chicken breast. I've included instructions below for slow cooking but you could use a rotisserie chicken, too.
- 2 9oz packages of refrigerated tortellini. I used Butoni Roasted Garlic and Cheese.
- 1 14.5 oz can of spicy red pepper diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can of all natural enchilada sauce. I used this brand.
- 1½ C shredded Mexican Cheese (you can also used shredded cheddar)
- To Slow Cook the Chicken: If slow cooking the chicken, spray the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray. Place two split chicken breasts (with the bones and skin - keeps it tender) in the slow cooker and sprinkle with salt, pepper and ground chipotle pepper, if desired. Place ½ C chicken broth in the slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Once the chicken is done cooking, remove from the bones, remove the skin and shred.
- For using Rotisserie Chicken: Remove the skin from the rotisserie chicken. Pull the chicken breasts from the bones and shred with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cook the tortellini according to package directions. Once done cooking, drain and return to the pot.
- Prepare the sauce. Place the enchilada sauce and the diced tomatoes into a blender and blend. You can also place these two items into a large bowl and blend with an immersion blender.
- Prepare the tortellini bake. Add the chicken to the pot with the tortellini. Mix well. Then add desired amount of sauce to the pot. I used about ¾ of the sauce. The remaining sauce can be stored in an air tight container in a refrigerator for up to a week. Mix everything well and then pour into a 1.5 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with the shredded Mexican cheese.
- Bake at 400 for 10 minutes. After baking, if desired, turn on the broiler to high and broil for about 5 minutes to brown the cheese.