Skillet Farro and Turkey Sausage Casserole with Kale and Sweet Potatoes
Simple Skillet Farro and Turkey Sausage Casserole is packed with sweet potatoes, kale and white beans. Made in one skillet.
I’m seriously in love with skillet meals.
Skillet meals are easy to make and many can be made in ONE skillet. Easy clean-up, I’m game for that. This healthy Skillet Farro and Turkey Sausage Casserole is made in one skillet. It’s full of turkey sausage, kale, farro, white beans and my favorite, sweet potatoes. It’s easy to make and will feed a family of six or provide plenty of leftovers for a family of two.
Skillet Farro and Turkey Sausage Casserole
I started this recipe off by cooking mild Italian turkey sausage in a large 12 inch casserole skillet. If you don’t have a large skillet, you may use a large pot instead. Once the turkey sausage finished cooking, I added onion, garlic and sweet potato to the skillet. It’s important that you do not fully cook the sweet potatoes or they will become mushy. Three minutes tops is all you need for this step. I added the kale and white beans and sauteed for about a minute, just enough time to wilt the kale. Finally, I added the farro and chicken stock. I brought to a quick boil and then reduced the heat to a simmer and cooked for about 30 minutes, just long enough to cook the farro and the sweet potatoes.
The leftovers from this farro casserole fed us for 3 days. I even took some to work for lunch. I love recipes like that provide multiple meals for my little family of two.
- 3 mild Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 C sweet onion, diced
- 2 C peeled diced sweet potatoes (about 1 large sweet potato)
- 4 C lacinato kale, chopped
- 1 15oz can white beans, such as great northern, drained and rinsed
- 1 C farro, picked through to remove any stones and rinsed
- 4 C low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- fresh chopped basil for garnish
- Cook the turkey sausage. Drizzle a large casserole skillet with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Heat over medium heat and then add the turkey sausage and cook until slightly browned, breaking apart the sausage as it cooks.
- Add the veggies to the skillet. Once the turkey sausage is done cooking, add the onion, garlic and sweet potato to the skillet. Cook for about three minutes and then add the white beans and kale. Saute for about a minute, or until the kale is just wilted.
- Add the farro and chicken broth to the skillet. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes or until the kale and sweet potatoes are cooked. Once done cooking, remove from the heat.
- Garnish. Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and chopped fresh basil.