I have been holding on to this post for a long time! It would have made sense to post it during the fall but that didn’t happen so here we are!
It’s probably weird to post a chili recipe in April BUT I’m going to justify it by thinking about the northeast who just saw snow this past week. They would probably enjoy a big ol’ bowl of chili right now. Amirite?
Heck, I enjoy a big ol’ bowl of chili even when it’s hot outside. ??
Vegan Quinoa Chili
This recipe is loosely adapted from Cooking Classy’s Quinoa Chili recipe.
What I love about this chili recipe:
- it’s vegan
- it’s healthy
- it’s made with quinoa
- it has a smoky flavor, thanks to smoked paprika
- it’s easy to make
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 C cooked quinoa
- 1 C vegetable broth
- 1 15oz can spicy red pepper diced tomatoes
- 1 28oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can black beans
- 1 15oz can light red kidney beans
- 1 15oz can white chili beans
- 1 4.5 oz can diced green chilies
- 1 7oz can tomato paste
- 2 8oz cans tomato sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot such as a dutch oven. Add the onion and sauté until tender. Add the garlic and sauté 1 more minute. Add the smoked paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper and chili pepper to the onion/garlic mixture and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes in order to bring out the flavors of the spices.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.