Friday and Saturday evenings are designated grill nights at our house. We drink beer. We grill food. We stuff our faces. Sometimes we pass out on the couch. That usually happens when too much beer is consumed. I should say that it’s usually me that passes out on the couch. There’s something about a comfy couch and the flickering of the television that makes me quickly fall into a deep dark slumber. The deep dark slumber typically doesn’t last long. Ken usually kicks me off the couch.
One of my must have items for the grill is potatoes. Sweet potatoes and honey golds are my absolute favs to cook on the grill. Sometimes we grill sweet potatoes, sometimes the honey golds. I dice them up, season them and then Ken grills them. A couple of weeks ago, I decided we would grill a 3lb bag of honey golds. Yep, 3 POUNDS. Because I love them and I love having leftover potatoes because then I can make awesome things like this Potato Frittata with Chicken Sausage using the leftover potatoes.
Our dog is so funny when we grill. She constantly eyes Ken, waiting for him to drop a piece of food on the ground so she can run over, scoop it up and quickly devour it. Then she makes her 123412654 laps around the grill, hoping she will find some sort of random food scrap that she missed. Sometimes she finds one. Usually she doesn’t. But I can assure you that Ken often “accidentally” drops a piece of food (often potatoes) on the ground for her. The dog loves the treats.
Am I all over the place with my story? I probably am but that’s okay. It’s all about potatoes and grilling and things that happen when we grill so it kind of flows, right?
Potato Frittata with Chicken Sausage
You want breakfast fast on the weekend? This Potato Frittata with Chicken Sausage recipe is for you, then. If you have leftover cooked diced potatoes like I did, then this will be ready to serve in about 20 short minutes. If you have to cook your potatoes, then you’ll just add 10 short minutes to the total time needed to make this awesome sauce frittata. I had some Al Fresco chicken sausage links in my fridge so I sliced up two of them to use in this frittata. Use your favorite chicken sausage to make the recipe yours. Garlic, fresh grated parmesan and of course, eggs, are the only other ingredients you will need for this recipe. Be sure to use an oven-safe skillet, too!
- 2 Al Fresh chicken sausage links (your choice of flavor) casings removed and sliced both lengthwise and widthwise. (this sausage is already cooked and only needs to be heated.)
- 1½ C cooked diced potatoes*
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ C grated parmesan cheese
- pinch of salt and ground black pepper
- fresh chopped parsley for garnish, if desired
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the potatoes and sausage. In a 10 inch oven-safe skillet, cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once done cooking, spread the mixture out in the pan to evenly distribute.
- Meanwhile, prepare the eggs. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, parmesan cheese, garlic and salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the potato/sausage mixture and evenly distribute the egg mixture. I slightly tilted the skillet to move the egg mixture around to distribute evenly. I also used a wooden spoon to carefully move around the potatoes and sausage so they were positioned to be mostly covered by the eggs.
- Cook the eggs/potatoes/sausage mixture on medium heat until the eggs are set around the edges, about 5 minutes.
- Place the skillet into the oven and bake at 350 for 7-9 minutes. The mixture should be firm and no longer runny.
- Allow to cook for 5-10 minutes and then slice into 8 slices.