Grilled Steak with Barley Salad
Last week I purchased a copy of Food Network magazine. In it, I found many recipes that I want to try so last night I decided to try one of them. I chose Grilled Steak with Barley Salad because it looked so delicious; the barley salad looked wonderful. I prepared the barley salad and the steaks and Ken grilled the steaks. Please enjoy the recipe.
- 1 1/4lb of boneless sirloin steak
- 1tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 cup of quick cooking barley
- 2 small carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 cups of baby spinach
- 3oz of button mushrooms, stems removed, caps thinly sliced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1tsp of lemon zest
- Juice from one lemon
- 1tsp of whole grain or dijon mustard
1. Cook the barley according to package directions (it will take about 45 minutes so be sure to do this first.)
2. Whisk together the Worcestershire sauce and 1 tbsp of olive oil. Coat the steaks in the mixture and grill on high for about 7 minutes per side. Once cooked, let set for 5-10 minutes and then slice against the grain.
3. Once the barley is cooked, stir in the carrots, celery, spinach, mushrooms and scallions. Cover and set aside.
4. In a medium sized bowl, whisk the lemon zest, lemon juice, mustard and remaining 2tbsp of olive oil. Add the barley mixture and mix well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Divide the steaks between plates and serve with the barley salad.
Recipe adapted from Food Network Magazine - July/August 2012, Volume 5, Number 6, pg 122.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 549 Total Fat: 29g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 21g Cholesterol: 52mg Sodium: 349mg Carbohydrates: 54g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 9g Sugar: 21g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 21g