Cherry Danish Coffee Cake: A sweet way to start your morning. Easily made with cake mix, cherry pie filling and a sweet, sugary glaze.
Cherry Danish Coffee Cake
Do you ever have those days where you want sweets for breakfast rather than a savory breakfast of bacon, eggs, toast and hasbrowns? I sure do. Normally when I want a sweeter breakfast, I make pancakes or cinnamon roll breakfast cake (you can find a couple of those recipes at the bottom of this post.) Yesterday morning I wanted something sweet for breakfast. So I did what any foodie does and I turned to the internet to get ideas (ok, I also turn to my cookbooks but I was still in bed yesterday morning when I started brainstorming and my cookbooks were downstairs!) I found a recipe on Taste of Home that I used as the inspiration for my recipe. I pretty much followed the exact recipe but I used a different type of cake mix and I made my glaze differently. I hope you enjoy this sugary sweet recipe!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 21oz can cherry pie filling
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 C all purpose flour
- 1 package dry active yeast
- ⅔ C warm water (115 degrees)
- ⅓ C cold butter, cubed
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ C confectioners sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- In the bowl of a stand up mixer, combine half of the cake mix, the flour, water and yeast. Beat with the flat attachment until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs until well blended.
- Pour the batter into a greased 2.5 qt casserole dish.
- Spread the cherry pie filling on top of the batter.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining cake mix and ⅓ C butter until crumbly. I used a knife and my fingers to do this. Sprinkle on top of the cherry pie filling.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until the top is browned. After baking was complete, I turned on my broiler to get the top a little more brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat. Whisk in the milk, confectioners sugar and vanilla. Add more milk until desired consistency reached.
- Pour the glaze over the cake (I ended up not using all of the glaze.)
More sugary sweet breakfasts that you might enjoy: