So I’m sitting here eating this soup and I’m like darn, this is some good soup.
I’m enjoying it with a cheesy grilled cheese sandwich filled with three slices of gooey melted cheese.
Do I have your attention now? Thought so.
In case you missed the memo, this week is #SlowCookerWeek. I’ve teamed up with Frugal Foodie Mama, Call Me PMc, Sugar Dish Me, Mom’s Test Kitchen and Melanie Makes to bring you a fantastic giveaway and some crazy good slow cooker recipes. On Monday, I shared this collection of 25 Favorite Slow Cooker Soup Recipes along with a Ninja 3-in-1 Cooking System giveaway. Recipes and giveaway are included in the same post.
I picked the soups this year so I made this crazy good Slow Cooker Tex Mex Soup to celebrate the occasion. Tonight I topped it with some shredded cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream. It’s mmm mmm good.
This thick and hearty soup is similar to chili but lacks the chili powder that makes chili chili. To make this soup stand out a little more than the typical Tex Mex/Chili style soups, enchilada sauce and the juice from one lime went into the mix. The lime juice gives this soup just the slightest bit of tartness and I like that. If you’re not really into adding lime juice to your soups or if you think you won’t like the subtle tartness that it adds, you can leave it out.
I like to top my Tex Mex Soup with shredded cheese, cilantro and sour cream. What would you top yours with?
- 1⅓ lb lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning. You can find my homemade recipe here
- 4.5 oz can diced green chilis
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- ½ C brown rice
- 1 C beef broth
- 1 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5 oz can spicy red pepper diced tomatoes
- 1 19 oz can enchilada sauce (or use 2 small cans)
- 1 C frozen sweet corn
- Juice from 1 lime
- Shredded cheese, cilantro, sour cream and/or avocado for garnish
- In a skillet, brown the ground beef. Drain and add to the slow cooker. Season with the taco seasoning.
- Add the broth, onions, diced tomatoes, enchilada sauce, beans, diced chilis and rice. Mix well. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. after cooking, mix in the corn and lime juice. Cover and warm for 5 minutes in order to cook the corn.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with your favorite toppings.
HUNGRY FOR MORE? WANT TO WIN A NINJA 3-IN-1 COOKING SYSTEM?
Check out this collection of 25 Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes and Enter to Win your very own Ninja Cooking System!