Shredded Chicken Tacos are a simple and delicious dinner recipe that’s made in your slow cooker. The tacos are topped with an out of this world fresh homemade pineapple salsa! Top with your favorite cheese, if desired.
You guys, a couple of weeks ago I received a copy of the new Healthy Slow Cooker Revolution cookbook from America’s Test Kitchen. I started flipping through the pages and found SO many healthy recipes that I wanted to try! So far, I’ve made three recipes from the cookbook. In addition to the Shredded Chicken Tacos, I made the Green Chicken Chili and the Creamy Mushroom Polenta. Those two recipes will eventually be shared on the blog. They were excellent but I especially loved the Shredded Chicken Tacos that I’m sharing with you today. You may know that I can be won over with Mexican food and peanut butter. Not together because that might be weird. But give me Mexican food or give me peanut butter and I’ll be happy. So on Saturday, I was trying to figure out what I wanted to make for dinner on Sunday. I started flipping through the cookbook again and BOOM. TACOS! The tacos won. I had most of the ingredients on hand and well, we’re talking about tacos here.
Although there some prep-work involved, this meal is pretty simple to make. Mix the sauce and spices together in your slow cooker, add the chicken and then cook for a couple of hours. In the meantime, you can make the pineapple salsa. Don’t worry, it only takes about 5 minutes to make. After you’re done making it, you can sit with your feet propped up and watch TV until the chicken is done cooking. Ha. I only wish I had been able to plop myself in front of my TV. Laundry and a dessert recipe were on my list of things to do so TV watching didn’t happen.
For dinner, I served the tacos with street corn. You could also serve them with chips and salsa or rice and beans. You can also enjoy them solo. I hope you enjoy the recipe!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp finely chopped chipotle chili in adobo sauce
- 1 C canned tomato sauce
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 bone-in split chicken breasts, skin and ribs removed and trimmed of all visible fat
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- Flour or corn tortillas
- 2 C ¼ inch pineapple pieces
- 4 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ C finely chopped red onion
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Prep and cook the chicken. In a microwave save bowl, whisk together the olive oil, chili powder, garlic, cumin, chipotle pepper and coriander. Microwave for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Transfer the mixture to your slow cooker and mix in the tomato sauce and sugar. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper and then add to the slow cooker, turning to coat with the sauce. Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours or until the chicken reaches 160 degrees.
- Prep the pineapple salsa. In a mixing bowl, combine the pineapple, red onion, lime juice and cilantro. Mix well and set aside.
- Once the chicken is done cooking, remove from the slow cooker and cool for 5 minutes. Then shred the chicken with two forks. Discard the bone. Stir 1 tbsp lime juice into the chicken sauce mixture and then add the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker and mix to coat with the sauce.
- Serve in warm tortillas and top with pineapple salsa and your favorite cheese, if desired.
The Healthy Slow Cooker Revolution cookbook is now one of my go-to cookbooks when looking for a simple, healthy recipe to prepare for dinner or lunch. There are a variety of recipes ranging from soups, meats, vegetarian and desserts in the cookbook, each containing nutritional information. I think you will LOVE this cookbook so I’m giving a copy away to one lucky reader! Just fill out the form below for your chance to win.
I was not compensated for this post however, I was sent a free copy of Healthy Slow Cooker Revolution cookbook for review. All opinions are my own.