One Skillet Chicken Thighs and Mushrooms with Cauliflower Rice is an easy one skillet dinner recipe that’s ready to eat in under an hour. It’s low carb and gluten free and is made with real ingredients. What’s not to love?
I adapted this recipe from I Breathe, I’m Hungry’s Skillet Chicken & Mushrooms recipe and I made these changes to the recipe: Added paprika to the spice mix; Used 1 cup of chicken broth in place of the water; Baked the chicken thighs instead of simmering them.
This recipe starts on the stovetop and ends in the oven so I recommend using an oven-safe skillet so you don’t dirty additional cookware. A cast iron skillet is a great option because it goes safely from stovetop to oven.
Once the meal is ready to serve, place the cauliflower rice in bowls or on plates. Top with mushrooms and juices from the skillet and then place the chicken on top. Sprinkle with fresh herbs for an extra pop of flavor!
One Skillet Chicken Thighs and Mushrooms with Cauliflower Rice
- 4 chicken thighs, bone in and skin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ C butter
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 1 C chicken broth
- 1 tbsp mustard (dijon or stone ground works well)
- 4 C Cauliflower rice
- Chopped fresh oregano and thyme for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Make the spice mix. Whisk together the kosher salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic and ground black pepper.
- Sprinkle the spice mix on both sides of chicken thighs.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a large cast iron skillet. Add the chicken thighs and cook 3-5 minutes per side or until each side is golden and crispy. Remove the chicken thighs from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp of butter and sliced mushrooms to the skillet. Sauté mushrooms for about 3 minutes. Add chicken broth and mustard to the skillet and mix well. Return the chicken thighs to skillet and transfer the skillet to the oven.
- Bake 25 minutes or until the chicken thighs reach an internal temp of 165.
- Serve over cauliflower rice with the juices from the skillet and garnish with fresh oregano and thyme.
If you aren't low carbing it, feel free to use ½ C per serving of white or brown rice in place of the cauliflower rice.