Red Wine Meatloaf
Red Wine Meatloaf is full of bold flavors, is filling and makes for great leftovers during the week! Cabernet Sauvignon enhances the flavor of the beef and seasonings and lends a hand in creating this mouthwatering meatloaf!
Hi folks and happy Monday. Can you believe that it’s already February 5th of 2018?! After all, it seems like just last week it was Christmas. Before we know it it will be Christmas again.
But I don’t want to rush into Christmas just yet. I have a lot of exciting things happening this year. First, in March Ken’s mom and stepdad are traveling from Minnesota to Florida to spend time with us. We will be at our place in Stuart for Easter, then at our place in Lakeland for a day or two and then it’s off to Asheville, NC (one of my favorite places!) for a few days.
We cannot wait to spend time with them because we haven’t seen them since Christmas of 2015! Next, we are traveling to Minnesota sometime during the summer because Ken’s brother is getting married. This will be another road trip. I LOVE road trips!
The inspiration for this red wine meatloaf comes from a recipe card (source unknown) I found in Ken’s dad’s recipe box. After searching through the recipe box, I found some recipes I wanted to make or use as inspiration. Notably, “Mama’s Meatloaf” caught my attention because MEATLOAF and EASY!
When I got around to making “Mama’s Meatloaf, I did a little brainstorming because I wanted to make the meatloaf recipe my meatloaf recipe. Meaning I wanted to give it my own twist, make it different from what was printed on the pages of the mystery newspaper.
A few things I did differently:
- used ghee instead of olive oil
- used gluten free breadcrumbs
- reduced the amount of herbs used
- added RED WINE!
- skipped the bacon. PS, I still love you, bacon.
So let’s get to this Red Wine Meatloaf recipe, shall we?
Red Wine Meatloaf
Red Wine Meatloaf
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 C finely chopped onion
- 1/2 C finely chopped celery
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 C tomato sauce
- 1/4 C red wine such as cabernet sauvignon
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/3 C gluten free breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 lbs lean (90/10) ground beef (I used grass-fed beef)
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Extra chopped parsley for garnish.
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Heat the ghee in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, garlic and Italian seasoning and cook until the onion and celery are tender, about 10 minutes. After cooking the veggies, remove from heat and set aside to allow to cool for a few minutes.
- While the veggies are cooking, chop your basil and Italian parsley.
- Add the chopped basil, Italian parsley, tomato sauce and breadcrumbs to the cooked veggies.
- Place the ground beef and ground pork in a large mixing bowl. Pour the veggie mixture into the bowl with the meat and season with salt and pepper. Add the red wine. Gently mix together.
- Press the meat mixture into an 8x4 loaf pan and form the top into a rounded shape.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the internal temp is 150. Ovens can vary so it may take more or less time. My convection oven took about 50 minutes.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven and drain any excess liquid. There will most likely be a lot of excess liquid due to the fat content of the beef and pork.
- Allow the meatloaf to cool for 10-15 minutes and then carefully remove from the loaf pan and slice.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love for you to leave a comment and a rating below!
Follow me on Instagram.