I love making simple sweet treats. Cake mixes make it easy to prepare simple desserts. Don’t get me wrong, I love baking from scratch. But cake mixes do taste good and you can do some fun things with them! Yesterday I decided to experiment with one of the boxes of cake mixes I recently bought.
I had an overly ripe banana, some cans of crushed pineapple and…here comes the best part…Malibu Rum. I decided to put them together with the cake mix to create a delicious sweet treat. This is a cake with a tropical flair; perfect for a warm Spring afternoon. And it’s a little lower cal and lower fat than your typical cake. There isn’t any oil in the batter and the cake is topped with cool whip rather than frosting. I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Banana Pineapple Cake
- 1 box Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- ½ C crushed pineapple (I ground mine in my food processor to get it extra fine)
- 1 tbsp pineapple juice from the crushed pineapples
- ½ C water
- ¼ C Malibu Rum
- 1 tub Cool Whip
- Grease and flour a 13x9 cake pan
- In the bowl of a stand up mixer, using the flat attachment, beat together the cake mix, eggs, water and rum for 2 minutes or until the mix is smooth.
- Beat in the banana, pineapple and pineapple juice.
- Pour the batter into the greased/floured cake pan.
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack. Once cooled, top with Cool Whip.
A couple other fruit filled recipes that you may enjoy: