Food Tips: How to Roast Poblano Peppers

You can easily roast poblano peppers at home. This How to Roast Poblano Peppers tutorial will walk you through the entire process, from start to finish.

How to Roast Poblano Peppers - A tutorial by This Gal Cooks

I’ve come across a few good recipes that require using roasted poblano peppers. I’ve also made recipes that require roasted poblano peppers. These reicpes include stuffed poblano peppers (I will be making that again one day so I can post it on my blog) Roasted Poblano & Crab Chowder, and Chili Rellano Casserole.  I know it’s rather easy to buy a jar of already roasted poblano peppers but why not roast them yourself? It’s cheaper, the peppers are fresher and they lack the added sodium that comes with any processed packaged food.

Today I will be sharing with you a simple tutorial on how to roast poblano peppers. I know there are many tutorials on the internet on how to roast poblano peppers but I figured I would share my version of roasting with all of you in hopes that you would gain some other valuable food knowledge from my blog! I hope you enjoy this tutorial.

How to Roast Poblano Peppers

How to Roast Poblano Peppers

What you will need

• Poblano peppers (amount needed depends on your recipe) washed and dried
  • Cooking spray
  • Aluminum Foil
  • A baking sheet
  • Large bowl with a lid (if you don’t have a lid for the bowl, you can use plastic wrap to cover it)
  • Gloves (I recommend wearing gloves while handling the roasted peppers. Trust me, they will irritate your skin if you don’t)

Directions

1. Set your oven to broil (if you have a high and low broil setting, set to high)
  2. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
  3. Spray each poblano pepper with cooking spray, ensuring that all surfaces are covered with the spray.
  4. Place the peppers on the aluminum foil lined baking sheet.
  5. Broil for about 5-10 minutes per side or until the skins are dark and bubbly. The entire skin doesn’t need to be dark but to ensure that the skins are easily removed, the majority of the skins should be dark and bubbly. I also recommend leaving your oven slightly cracked open so the peppers to not burn too much. You want them to be crispy but not burnt.
  6. Remove the peppers from the oven and place in the bowl. Cover and set aside for 15-20 minutes.
  7. Put on your gloves and start removing the skins from the peppers. Remove as much of the skin as you can and then run the pepper under cold water. The water will help to lift more of the skins off. Remove the cap and gently remove any of the seeds. You can also do this under running water.
  8. Be sure to be gentle with the peppers while removing the skins and the seeds. They are delicate and will break easily. If you are using them in soups or to make a casserole, it won’t matter if they break but if you are making stuffed peppers, you will want the peppers to stay in once piece.

Will you try roasting poblano peppers now? Have you ever roasted them? if so, what methods do you use? I’d love to hear from you!

Comments

1. Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes says

Almost too easy! I have never roasted my own peppers – I should try it some time!

2. MJBlatchford says

I roasted poblanos many years ago without enough information, i.e., WEAR GLOVES! There were no instructions on handling of them and I was miserable as had touched my face, nose, etc., and the apartment was sooo smoky afterward. Outside is best, I guess, but I will be trying them indoors soon. Surprised to see that not many instructions include caution re: handling. Will let you know…Thanks for the assist.

3. Jasmine says

I just tried this last night to put the peppers in a sauce. Worked great. I didn’t have any gloves and I read somewhere previously to cover your hands in olive oil before touching the pepper. I did that also worked perfectly. It’s a good alternative if you don’t have gloves.

• says

Thanks for the tip regardin the olive oil. I have not heard of that one! It will be handy in case I don’t have any gloves the next time I roast peppers. Have a wonderful week! :)

4. Michael says

Thanks for the pointers…I keep over-cooking them. Can poblanos be fire-roasted by turning over a gas stove the way I roast bell-peppers?

5. Ron Husted says

My wife does one at a time over a burner on the stove using a set of tongs. I have cranked up the BBQ and do a bunch of them at a time. Tried your method last night and it works very well.

• says

Great! I’m glad it worked well for you. I would like to try doing them on the grill one day. I think roasting them on the grill will kick up the flavor to a whole new level!

6. Rose says

My favorite channels are the ones that have cooking shows. I have seen several shows using poblanos. In 10 years, I have never purchased a poblano pepper. Until now. I really appreciate sites like this, that it is so simple and easy to follow. They turned out great!! It goes to show that you don’t need a ‘chef’s kitchen, to cook like one!! We have used these in burgers, lasagna, omelets, burritos, and even cold vegetable soups! Excellent!!

• says

You can brush them with olive oil and then roast them. I’ve never eaten them on bread but if that is something you want to try, you certainly could! I bet they would be great on a grilled cheese sandwich!

7. autumn says

Never have I ever roasted Poblano Peppers before today. Still, and despite simply skim reading over your directions, I was able to [seemingly] master the roasting of a Poblano Pepper. The skin is easy to know when ready because it blisters, and the cold water did assist with skin removal, though I did not try not using water. Still, regardless of reading time, roasting peppers according to your directions, took only the necessary amount of time with very little effort.

On another note, I did not have gloves but tried the oil as was suggested above. I used Trader J brand olive oil, it seemed to work, my hands don’t reek of pepper or feel irritated. Furthermore, to test the hypothesis I [lightly] touched the inner corner of my eye near the duct, it stung less than mildly and did not necessarily irritate my eye to any intolerable degree of discomfort. So, I guess it works, mostly. It’s definitely plausible since, when a person waxes the facial skin (lip, eyebrow, etcetera…) using hot wax, applying oil to the area to be waxed prevents the skin from being ripped off with the pull. Trust me, I know.

In conclusion, the recipe was simple and the forum was helpful. Thanks!

Trackbacks

1. […] Several ways to do it. Charred and blistered on an open flame works well such as with gas bbq grill then throw them in a paper sack and seal them up right quick. After a bit they start steaming themselves the skin gets slimey and the pepper gets slimey and it peels off sorta..lol. Same trick can be done with a propane hand torch. Here is link showing how to do it in an electric oven. Now once they turn red they turn themselves into Ancho's. What color is yours? They are wonderful as a topping for baked potatoes. Not that folks in this section seem to able such stuff. Throw some on your burger. Very good like that too. Indespensible for good cheesy squash casseroles..homininy casseroles etc etc. Food Tips: How to Roast Poblano Peppers […]