It’s time for another soup recipe! It’s been a few weeks since I posted one so I figured I would post this delicious recipe that I made a couple of weeks ago. If you like spicy foods, you’ll love this soup. If you like bacon, you’ll love this soup. See the pattern? Peppers + Bacon + Soup = Fantastic Soup!
This was sort of an experiment. I got my inspiration for this soup from Tracey over at The Kitchen is My Playground. She made an awesome Chipotle Sweet Potato Chowder a few weeks ago and it got me to thinking about making my own sweet potato chowder. I love experimenting in the kitchen so when I got home from work on that day a couple of weeks ago (yep, I had motivation after work!) I went to work in my kitchen and made this soup. I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Spicy Sweet Potato & Bacon Chowder
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, seeded and chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed and boiled until tender
- 4 C chicken broth
- 1 15 oz can of coconut milk
- 2 tbsp cornmeal
- 4 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, saute the bacon over medium high heat until the juices have released.
- Add the onions, garlic and peppers and saute until tender.
- Add the dried thyme and mix well.
- Add half of the sweet potatoes and half of the chicken broth. Mix well and then puree with an immersion blender. Remove the solids with a strainer.
- Whisk together the cornmeal and coconut milk and then pour into the soup mixture. Mix well.
- Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes. The soup will thicken over time.
- Serve over rice, if desired.
When I make this soup again, I think I will try it vegetarian style with vegetable broth and no bacon. I think it would be really good prepared this way. It would also be healthier!
Here are a few more soup and chowder recipes that you may enjoy.