Smooth creamy cheese and zesty chipotle peppers come together to make one darn good creamy cheese sauce for this Smoky Chipotle Macaroni and Cheese.
Smoky Chipotle Macaroni & Cheese
Have you been looking for a delicious way to kick up your macaroni and cheese recipe? Do you like to add a little spice to your foods with either hot sauce, red pepper flakes or jalapeno peppers? If so, then I have the perfect recipe for you. This recipe combines a variety of cheeses, including cheddar, smoked gruyere and cream cheese. Chipotle peppers give this macaroni and cheese dish the kick you’ve been looking for. Pair it with other side dishes such as BBQ Baked Beans and Grilled Herbed Potatoes and you have yourself a delicious combination of side dishes for your next BBQ!
- 2 C shredded cheddar cheese
- 1½ C milk
- ½ C whipping cream
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 C sour cream
- ½ C butter
- ¼ lb of smoked gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeded and removed. Reserve 1 tsp of the adobo sauce from the can of peppers
- ½ C flour
- 8 oz macaroni
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp lemon juice (it prevents the cheese from getting stringy)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the macaroni until tender
- In a large pot over medium, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and add the milk and whipping cream. Bring to a simmer until the mixture is thickened.
- Mix in the sour cream. Once well blended, add the cream cheese and whisk together until smooth.
- Add the cream cheese, smoked gruyere and cheddar cheese, one at a time, whisking well after each addition.
- Add the chipotle pepper, the reserved adobo sauce and the ground black pepper and mix well.
- Combine the macaroni with the cheese sauce and then add to a medium sized casserole dish.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for 20 minutes.