I LOVE macaroni and cheese. It’s probably my all time favorite side dish, comfort food, and dish to bring to employee food days and holiday parties. I always make this dish as a side for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter (when I am cooking on those holidays but I also sometimes bring it along to whomever’s house we are eating at) and when we have BBQ’s at our house. Since yesterday was Ken’s birthday, we had a massive BBQ and of course, I made macaroni and cheese. This recipe is something that I basically threw together after looking at a few macaroni and cheese recipes a few years ago. It is by far one of the best macaroni and cheese dishes I’ve ever had and I’ve had many people tell me the same thing after eating it. In fact, yesterday, someone that tried it said that they don’t really like macaroni and cheese but they really liked mine!
The base starts with butter, sour cream and then the delicious cheeses are added. Please see below for the recipe and always, enjoy this recipe! :)
- 8 oz of macaroni
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1/3 cup of flour
- 1 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz of sour cream (1 small 8oz cup of Daisy works well!)
- 4 oz (half package) of cream cheese
- 8 oz of Velveeta Cheese (smallest package works well)
- 3 slices of Pepper Jack cheese
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- pepper to taste
2. In a large skillet or pot, melt the butter.
3. Add the flour and mix well until there are no lumps.
4. Add the milk and heavy cream and mix well. Bring to a boil but continue to mix well so the mixture does not burn.
5. Add the sour cream and whisk until there are no lumps.
6. Add the cream cheese and whisk until it is melted and well mixed together. The following picture is what your sauce should look like at this point.
7. Add the Velveeta cheese and mix well, until melted.
8. Add the pepper jack cheese and mix well, until melted.
9. Add the pepper and mix well. (I usually add about two or three grinds worth from a pepper grinder)
10. Gradually add the shredded cheddar cheese and mix well, until melted. The following picture is what your cheese sauce should now look like.
11. Add the macaroni to the cheese sauce and mix well.